I came up with this activity on the fly today as I was working on the past tense with my class, and it worked great. My students got into it and didn’t want to stop. I used this activity after I had introduced simple past tense statements (positive and negative) and questions. We did some guided practice, and then I had them play a game with verb cards I had created for another activity previously in the semester. This activity is great because it also gives them a chance to learn more vocabulary.
- Start by putting your students into groups of 3-4.
- Give each group a stack of verb cards and a dice.
- On the board write:
- 1-2 Positive Statement
- 3-4 Negative Statement
- 5-6 Question.
- Tell students to roll the dice and draw one card.
- Tell each group to work together to write a sentence using the verb and the sentence type they rolled.
- Also, tell them not to draw another card until everyone in their group has written the sentence in their notebooks.