Since the start of language, it has been used to tell stories. It’s a natural part of the human experience to recount events and experiences in our lives. Using past tense forms can be difficult at first for English learners. This is an activity that I’ve used for several semesters to give students a chance to be creative and practice the past tense. It also promotes the use of the simple past and past continuous together.
- Review simple past tense and past continuous verb tenses.
- Review using these tenses together.
- “I was walking in the park when my mother called me on the phone.”
- Put students into groups of 3-4.
- Follow the slideshow with students to set them up to write a story about a man’s adventure.