I love using pictures in my classes. They can be interesting, engaging, and also give students a starting place for talking. One great way to use pictures in your classroom is to use a picture collage. This activity gets students up out of their chairs and talking with different classmates. This activity is also great because it can be adapted and used for a variety of purposes. Below are the basic instructions and some examples.
- Put together a slide of pictures.
- Ask students to select a picture that represents themselves in a specific aspect or a picture that represents something you’re talking about or reading about. Some example questions are below.
- Ask students to stand up and walk around and tell different classmates which picture they chose and why.
Choose a picture that represents how you usually study English.
Choose a picture that represents how you feel as a new person to this country.
Choose a picture that represents how you feel after the first week of class.
Other example questions could be:
- Choose a picture that you think best represents the character ____ we read about in _____.
- Choose a picture that best represents your personality.
- Choose a picture that best represents your morning routine.